The PCSS promotes quality Social Studies education from kindergarten to higher learning by:
1. Advocating the Social Studies at all levels of education in Pennsylvania.
2. Promoting the analysis, dissemination and evaluation of Social Studies materials.
3. Examining and recommending certification requirements for teachers.
4. Assisting educators in organizing local Social Studies councils for professional development.
5. Cooperating with schools, districts, intermediate units and other interested parties on Social Studies projects.